Frequently Asked Questions2018-11-13T13:27:47-08:00


Does your homeowner’s insurance cover all damages caused by a wildfire? Sadly, most homeowners are underinsured, leaving them with extensive costs for them to cover out-of-pocket. Contact Wildfire Recovery Attorneys for a free consultation.


CALL: 866-504-7321
How do you know how the fires started?2018-11-13T13:28:16-08:00

Wildfire Recovery Attorneys has years of experience in proving utility companies have caused fires in California based on the failure of utility companies to properly maintain their equipment, including allowing their utility lines or poles to “slack” or break causing sparks, as well as continuing to energize downed power lines.  Wildfire Recovery Attorneys work with the best experts to determine the exact cause of each of the fires. Based on preliminary reports, including filings with the California Public Utility Commission, Wildfire Recovery Attorneys believe and have alleged Pacific Gas & Electric Company (“PG&E”) or Southern California Edison (“SCE”) started the 2017 and 2018 Northern and Southern California Fires, respectively.

What are my fire damages?2018-11-13T13:18:40-08:00

When someone is affected by a fire, there are many types of losses, including:

Property Damage

  • Homes and other structures
  • Personal property/contents of the home
  • Trees and landscaping
  • Erosion damage

Evacuation/Alternative Living Expenses

  • Hotel/food/gas during the evacuation
  • Rent and additional costs for temporary living

Lost Income

  • Personal income (including loss of sick and vacation days)
  • Business income

Emotional Damages

  • Fear for safety of yourself and others
  • Mental anguish, inconvenience, disturbance, and annoyance
I have insurance: do I need a lawyer?2018-11-13T13:18:11-08:00

Insurance does not cover all losses for three main reasons:

  1. Most people are underinsured for personal or business losses.
  2. Property items are depreciated by the insurance company so that the payout won’t replace the lost items.
  3. Many categories of damages are never covered by insurance (like emotional damages, erosion, or lost income) or in very rare instances (like landscaping and trees).

Wildfire Recovery Attorneys have successfully fought to recover money for insured homeowners to compensate them for uninsured losses, including damages related to the stress and inconvenience caused by the fire and being displaced.

I don’t like the idea of lawsuits. Why do I need an attorney?2018-11-13T13:19:16-08:00

After tragedies, our clients find our lawyers and staff helpful in dealing with insurance companies, emergency services and recovering their losses from the responsible utility companies. Our group of experienced fire attorneys and staff will help you navigate these issues. You will always have access to someone who can answer your questions and offer assistance.

We DO NOT take a percentage of your recovery from insurance. We will help you with your insurance claims without taking any portion of your insurance recovery.

To receive compensation for your losses from the utility companies you will need an attorney to help navigate the lawsuit process. We hire experts in electrical engineering, metallurgy, fire investigation, tree valuation, erosion, home building, and other areas to establish liability and prove your damages.

What if I don’t have insurance?2018-11-13T13:19:39-08:00

Wildfire Recovery Attorneys will help home-owners, renters and business owners who did not have insurance at the time of the fire. If the fire was caused by a public utility company’s negligent, careless, or deliberate behavior, then you are entitled to compensation whether or not you have insurance.

What if I rented my house?2018-11-13T13:20:01-08:00

Renters who lose all of their possessions in a fire typically have significant personal property losses. It is costly to replace furniture, cookware, clothing, and other items that we tend to collect over a lifetime. Renters also have intangible damages related to the stress and anguish caused by the fire and its aftermath.

What happens if my business interruption limits are reached?2018-11-13T13:20:29-08:00

Most commercial insurance policies covering business will have a component of insurance called Business Interruption Insurance or Coverage. The purpose of this type of coverage is to supplement or replace your business’ income during any downtime. Depending on your policy limits and the extent of damage to your business, these limits may be exhausted before your business may be able to get back up and running. With the help of our experts, we can assist you in ascertaining and maximizing any business interruption claims. Any losses above and beyond your coverage are those that we would try and recover from a responsible party. As with the homeowners’ claims, we DO NOT take a percentage of recovery of your insurance proceeds. That recovery is yours, and yours alone.

How are the attorneys paid/what is your retainer?2018-11-13T13:20:53-08:00

There is no financial obligation or risk of hiring us. We work on contingency, meaning you don’t pay anything unless we recover money for you.  We advance all costs ourselves. We will never ask you to pay money out-of-pocket to us.

What is FEMA and how does it work?2018-11-13T13:21:17-08:00

FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, works to support the citizens and first responders to provide emergency services, including temporary housing allowance and supplies, after a national disaster, like the Northern and Southern California fires. For more information on services available through FEMA, contact FEMA

Our lawyers and staff have experience in helping families with the FEMA application process and they would be happy to work with you and your family during this difficult time.

We can help you determine your legal options. Call 866-504-7321 or get started using the form below.
  • Receive emails from Wildfire Recovery Attorneys?
  • Receive text messages from Wildfire Recovery Attorneys?